National Library of Australia
Bored of Studies ?
I was Only 19 Meet the real person behind the Anthem
The Other Pompeii - Life and Death in Herculaneum
Shakespeare's People Front row asks actors, Directors and writers to give their take on their favourite Shakespeare Character.
Quick Effective Searches
Legal Studies Find out Information regarding the Law
How to Use Google
- Be specific eg. Try to use a phrase & a qualifier “william shakespeare” profile
- Searching for William Shakespeare, type inverted commas around the whole name to narrow the search ("William Shakespeare")
- Searching for biographical info about William Shakespeare, type ("William Shakespeare" profile)
- Searching for a newspaper article about William Shakespeare, type the term then the newspaper ("William Shakespeare" smh)
- Google automatically defaults to ‘and’ when there is more than 1 search term. It will look for all the terms not just some of them. (eg William Shakespeare - Google searches for all matches with William and also matches with Shakespeare).
- Search terms highlighted in blurb.
- Definitions of underlined words (near the top of your search screen) can suggest other search terms.
I want a newspaper article Add ‘smh’ or ‘theage’ to search terms
I can’t see what I am looking for on the page. Select Edit menu, Find then enter term; or use Ctrl (Apple) F
The page is unavailable. Select Google’s cached version
I like the page & want to see more of that site. Shorten the web page address
.pdf documents come up in my search results Google offers a text version to avoid downloading whole document.
At this page, you'll find specialised information about the best way to research. This page is usually used as a workshop tool.
This may also be called a Power Search. This feature is available on most search engines.
Advanced Google Search.
- Select the Advanced Google Search link from the Basic Search page.
- Enter the search terms then select the options to define the search terms
- All words
- Exact phrase
- At least one of words
- Without the words
- Select the Language required. Select Any or choose one of 36 languages.
- Select the Date when the pages were last updated
- past 3 mths
- 6 mths
- Select the File format (only/don’t)
- Variety of formats appear in a drop down menu.
- Select Occurrences of terms
- in title
- in text
- links to page
- Select the Domain (only/don’t)
- Select No filtering or Safe Search.
Advanced Image Searching
- Go to Google Images Search & select Advanced Image Search.
- Find an image - Enter the search term.
- All the words
- Exact phrase
- Any of the words
- Not related to the words
- Select the Size of the image required
- any size,
- icon size,
- very large,
- Select the Filetype
- any type,
- Select the Coloration
- any colours,
- grey scale,
- full colour
- Select the Domain required - may be left blank.
- Select Safe Search
- no filter,
- ****Remember that images may be copyrighted. Look for websites that offer copyright free images
- Images free to use for Educational purposes
- Creative Commons
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art
The Metropolitan Museum of Art has made over 400,000 images available for free download for non-commercial use as a part of its Open Access for Scholarly Content initiative. These beautiful images include the treasures owned and displayed by the Met such as famous paintings, armor, statues, art objects, and more. All images can be found on this website and are identified with the acronym OASC.
The Wellcome Library, London
In January 2014, The Wellcome Library in London made 100,000 art and medicine images available online for open use. This collection is where to look for offbeat, bizarre photos including medical art of all types including manuscripts, paintings, etchings, early photography and advertisements. The images here are absolutely fantastic. The images may be used for commercial or personal purposes, with an acknowledgement of the original source (Wellcome Library, London).